Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Domestic Goddess Debut

My first "domestic goddess" contribution, naturally, had to be from my ultimate domestic goddess -- my mom Mary. Mother of five, grandmother of 17, and in her own words, "the fact that I'm 73 years old does not mean I feel 73." Nor does she look it!

I feel fortunate that I can regularly turn to a person with such spot-on instinct, an amazing ability to clarify and simplify things, and someone who's "been there, done that" and is always willing to listen.

Here are a few of her observations over the years. If she could, she would pour you a "nice cup of tea" at the kitchen table right now.

  1. Take your time getting older. Don't rush to get it all done at once, and you will enjoy different experiences.


  2. Keep your sense of humor in tact and don't sweat the small stuff. Everything is usually just a 10-day wonder.


  3. Take pride in whatever you do -- whether it's raising a family, showing up to a job everyday, or even just ironing a shirt -- put your best effort into it.


  4. Tell the truth. It's so much easier in the end. You don't have to remember what you said, and really, less people get hurt.


  5. Life is funny -- you can change on the outside, but many of your feelings, thoughts, emotions and values stay the same on the inside.

Lately I can completely relate to number five. I'm 41 and can no longer do a cartwheel, manuever a skateboard, or ride a rollercoaster without getting sick... but I still feel like the same 14 year old girl who loved fashion magazines, the beach at any time of the year, and ice cream at any time of the day.

2 comments:

Sue V said...

That's my mom - ever so wise! #2 is my favorite - I try to follow it as much as I can as it can get me through a rough day. But all 5 are right on the money. Mom, you taught us everything you know and I thank you for that.

Linda said...

Oh,the wisdom of Mary T ! Those are just 5 of many commandments that our mother has inspired us with along with many others.
Great blog, Care! Beautiful pics and SO well-written..:)
Linda