Thursday, July 30, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
There's a line in the movie "Working Girl" by Joan Cusack. She tells Melanie Griffith: "Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna, never will."
Madonna or not, sometimes you just gotta dance. I asked some friends what song(s) get them on the dance floor. All I know is there are some girls out there ready to boogie -- so hey Mr. DJ, just put a record on!
A lot of us gals "grew up" in the 80's, when Madonna was a staple. So let's let the Material Girl start off the list:
- "Everybody" by Madonna
- Classic Madonna
- "Holiday" by Madonna
- "Dancing Queen" by ABBA got 5 votes!
- "Love Shack" by the B52's got 2 votes
- "Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC got 2 votes
- Anything by Talking Heads
- Anything by Vampire Weekend or MGMT
- Anything by Van Morrision
- "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga
- "Runaround Sue"
- "It Had to be You"
- "Brick House" by the Commodores
- "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond (fun to sing along to, too -- thanks Leslie :)
- "Nasty" by Janet Jackson
- "Been Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield
- 80's music
- "We Are Family"
- "YMCA", "Macho Man" or "San Francisco" by The Village People
- Anything by KC and the Sunshine Band
My top 5 :
- "Best of My Love" by the Emotions
- "Don't Stop til You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson
- "I Need to Know" by Marc Anthony (if only I could tango...)
- "Jackie Wilson Said" by Van Morrison
- "Beggin" by Madcon
And when the music starts, I never wanna stop, it's gonna drive me crazy... Thanks Madge. And thanks to all those who gave their "two cents" :Dawn, Lisa, Sue, Mary, Stacy, Stephanie, Linda, Lizzie, Teri, Wendy B., Leslie, Tina, Jamie, Mary Rose, Sandi, and Kelly O!
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Have a seat... or two.
I'll be back at my usual post at the best outdoor market in Denver. Come see me at the Sweet William Market this Saturday, July 25th 9-2. I'll have some furniture available at the "Best Place to Shop For Home Accessories" according to 5280 Magazine. You can pick up the chair pictured above, and its twin! Plus other great pieces.
Here is a link to their website, and their latest ad. Tell a friend, and take a friend with you, and you can win $$$! Click on the ad below for details.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Ciao – hi/bye bye
Grazie – Thank You
Ti Amo (also the name of an Italian song that is one of my all-time favorites) – I Love You
Come si dice _____ in italiano – How do you say _____ in Italian
Mi scusi – Excuse me
La dolce vita – the sweet life. (this phrase represents the ideal Italian way of life, which is the good life and a life filled with pleasure and indulgence)"
Friday, July 17, 2009
- When the Elephants Dance
- The Red Tent
- Life of Pi
- Bel Canto
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- We Need to Talk About Kevin
- Post Birthday World
- The Glass Castle
- The DaVinci Code
- and my personal fave: Atonement, though I might be the only one to say so :)
Monday, July 13, 2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
My last post was all about far off and exotic places. Fort Collins, Colorado is a little like that for me this weekend. I am breaking away from routine and doing a new outdoor market.
The French Nest Open-Air Market (see above) is where I will be all day Saturday (tomorrow), July 11th. I've been entrenched in the Denver market for a couple of years now and have been wanting to add a new local destination for selling my wares.
Fort Collins is about an hour north (and I live on the North end of the Denver Metro area), so it will be a bit of a drive, but I'm so looking forward to this market. Fort Collins is a great city and is often ranked in the "Top 10 Places to Live in America".
Wish me luck at The French Nest Open-Air Market, and I'll let you know how it goes! And of course I'll be back in my usual spot at The Sweet William Market at Stapleton in two weeks.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
- Venice, Italy (first photo above)
- Amalfi Coast Italy (second photo above)
- S. Africa
- Marin County California
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Upstate NY: Hudson Valley, Roosevelt Home, Museums!
- Casis, France: eat yummy food and enjoy the beach
- India: see textile mills
- Bora Bora (actually a return visit!)
- New York City
My friend Wendy's vote was for the "Chiron" -- her sister's yacht (above). In her words:
I have to say hands down, there is absolutely no other place like being on the Chiron. It doesn't matter where it is...usually in Newport, Cabo, or Puerta Vallarta. It is pure Heaven, and I'm so in love with that boat! It's waking up on the ocean & being surrounded by nature. It's being in awe of the beauty & luxury of the boat, and realizing I'm on it and sharing it with my family or friends. It's sitting on the couch looking out and seeing Orca whales, dolphins, squid, whale sharks....you name it. Of course, then there is always the guys who are cooking for you, cleaning up after you, and making sure your every need is met.
We are STILL trying to convince Wendy to do a neighborhood "girls" trip on the Chiron.
Please leave me a comment on your desired destination!
Friday, July 3, 2009
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
They say there's no such thing as an "original" idea anymore -- that someone else has come up with it already -- you might just have a different version of it.
Same could be said for these lovely little vases/votives. Being new to bloggerville, I got sucked into the "labyrinth" of looking at other blogs. You know the drill... you click onto one, look at one their favorites, click onto that one, and so the cycle goes.
That being said I saw this adorable idea on a blog, including a link to further instructions on how to make them. I just can't remember which one now.
But I'll tell you "my version":
- Take your basic Mason jar (small jam size works best)
- Wrap wire around rim and create a handle (I used picture hanging wire)
- Swaddle the jar with a vintage handkerchief. These came from my grandmother-in-law and I've been trying to figure out what I could use them for -- voila!
- Secure hankie with rubber band
- Tie a beautiful ribbon around rubber band to mask it.
- Fill with water and your favorite flowers OR a small votive candle and hang!
I was so excited to be able to recycle the handkerchiefs and put them to a good re-use. I will have these vases/votives "hanging around" at my next show, and they can be yours for only eight dollars each. Put a little pretty in your life!